Friday, June 27, 2008

The application of pre-paid cash card for consumers.

Touch ‘n Go card is used as an electronic purse mostly in transportation sector in Klang Valley, Malaysia. The card looks similar to a credit card where user can continue using the card as long as it is pre-loaded with electronic cash. Users can reload the card at toll plazas, train stations, Automated Teller Machines, Cash Deposit Machines, Petrol kiosks and at authorized third party outlets.

Touch ‘n Go enhances the speed of paying for low value but high frequency transactions. Apart from the speed, it is also very convenient because user no longer need to prepare for small change or wait in queue at the cash lane to complete the transaction.

On the other hand, 'Octopus' is widely used in Hong Kong for purchases on public transport, convenience stores, fast food shops, supermarkets, cake shops, vending machines, schools and parking. Octopus is also used for office and residential premises access control.

Each Octopus has a built-in microchip containing an electronic purse and other applications which can accurately record the holders' transaction details. Users simply hold their Octopus over a reader, and the correct amount will be deducted automatically. There's no longer a need for coins.

In Singapore, there is a card called Ez-link card which is very similar to Touch 'n Go card in Malaysia. The card is used at MRT or bus entrance and it can be top up at the MRT counter by cash or using ATM card. There is a discount on the bus and MRT fares when you use the card for the fee.
More information in http://www.ezlink.com.sg/

5 comments:

Forza said...

Nowadays everything also made into digital. Now payments can be done digitally too. It's truely a revolutionary world we live in!

I used 2 Touch n Go cards myself. My sis carried with her at least 2 Ez-Link cards for her use in Singapore. So I can say, prepaid cash cards are essential these days.

Agreed with you, these cards are convenient and helps us to do things faster. No more queues at the toll lanes! Like what you say, those EZ-Link cards even gave discounts for MRT and bus rides.

The cards are truly convenient to use. I wonder when these services will be added into our MyKad as well...

Unknown said...

Hiya. I used alot pre-paid cards too. Those Touch n Go. Used those for my car, parking, bus, payment.
And the reloading of the card is quite convenient too, thanks mainly to the Maybank ATM machine, now I can reload at many places. Yeah those places that you mentioned like the petrol kiosk also can reload too.

But the reliability of the card should be good right? I mean, if I reload RM 50 into it, I should have RM 50 to use and it won't get lost? But for now it's very reliable and the money inside also consistent too. Hmm... should be reliable, in my experience.

.:: JaNe GaN ::. said...

Anyhow, the application of pre-paid cash card still not very popular in M'sia. Our Government had just do some pilot test on using pre-paid cash card to buy food and grocery.

If one day this application have fully implement toour country, by that time we do not need to carry any cash around.

.:: JaNe GaN ::. said...

to mizuno:

I had used Touch n Go card for more than 5 years and no problem with it. The reliability of the card is good.

Besides that, the service that the retail company provide is good as well. I had experience that my card had spoil and the retail company just change another new card for me without any extra charges. The new card is still preloaded with the balance i have in the spoiled card.

Unknown said...

OIC... that's good news Jane. No more worries. I always worried what will happen if my card gets spoiled someday by my careless use. But well, seems like no more worries now.

I just wish our government can dish out more applications for these cards fast. And soon too.

Tell us your feeling by click on the emotion icon!